Learn more about the objects in the Museum & Archives Collections!
Agrippa Hull (1759-1848) came to Stockbridge as a young man. He enlisted in to serve in the American Revolution in 1777 and served until 1783. While serving, “Grippy” was attached to Gen. John Paterson of Lenox and later Polish General Thaddeus Kosciuszko, receiving a pension. Hull’s portrait was taken In 1844 by photographer Anson Clark of West Stockbridge. This oil portrait was later produced from the Clark daguerreotype.
Museum & Archives: SLAHC Art Collection, 47.002.
Child’s chest of drawers, dated around 1765, believed to have belonged to Anna Dudley (1752-1819) of Guildford, CT. She was the mother of, Rev. David Dudley Field, Sr., who served as the fourth minister at the Stockbridge Congregational church. Museum & Archives: Dresser-Field Collection 68.11168.111
Although, the Berkshire Republican Library was founded in Stockbridge in 1789, in 1861 the townspeople, led by Nathan Jackson, decided to create a permanent building. This also led to the creation of the Stockbridge Library Association in 1862. This drawing is from historical architectural plans for the building that opened in 1864. Museum & Archives: Stockbridge Library Association Collection, 72.6.52.03